United Nations Global Compact
The United Nations Global Compact is a United Nations initiative to encourage businesses worldwide to adopt sustainable and socially responsible policies, and to report on their implementation. The UN Global Compact is a principle-based framework for businesses, stating ten principles in the areas of human rights, labour, the environment and anti-corruption. Under the Global Compact, companies are brought together with UN agencies, labour groups and civil society.
The UN Global Compact is the world’s largest corporate citizenship initiative with 10,000 corporate participants and other stakeholders over 130 countries with two objectives: “Mainstream the ten principles in business activities around the world” and “Catalyze actions in support of broader UN goals, such as the Millennium Development Goals (MDGs).
PARCO is a member of the UN Global Compact and follows its reporting policy by filing the Communication on Progress (COP) report. PARCO submitted its eighth Communication on Progress (COP) 2018 in March 2018. The annual posting of a COP is an important demonstration of an organization’s commitment to the UN Global Compact and its principles. Our COP report illustrates PARCO’s commitment to UNGC’s Ten Principles, and the management systems, actions and performance of PARCO.
United Nations Global Compact’s Ten Principles
- Businesses should support and respect the protection of internationally proclaimed human rights; and
- Make sure that they are not complicit in human rights abuses.
- Businesses should uphold the freedom of association and the effective recognition of the right to collective bargaining;
- The elimination of all forms of forced and compulsory labor;
- The effective abolition of child labor; and
- The elimination of discrimination in respect of employment and occupation
- Businesses should support a precautionary approach to environmental challenges
- Undertake initiatives to promote greater environmental responsibility; and
- Encourage the development and diffusion of environmentally friendly technologies.
- Businesses should work against corruption in all its forms, including extortion and bribery.
- 110 Government Schools and Clinics have been supported at 7 locations by PARCO under the schools and clinics support program.
- More than 42,000 Children are benefiting from PARCO’s Schools and Clinics Support Program.
- PARCO has built three schools with The Citizens Foundation at Karachi and Qasba Gujrat where 998 children are receiving quality education.
- 23 Vocational Training Centers (VTCs) have been supported at 9 Locations.
- More than 3,000 Patients are treated every year at a Community Welfare Clinic situated near PARCO Mid-Country Refinery in Qasba Gujrat.
- Rs 126 million have been spent on PARCO Flood Rehabilitation & Reconstruction Program
- 500 Women educated through PARCO supported Literacy Centers at Qasba Gujrat.
- More than 600 Government school teachers have received quality teachers training since the past 4 years in a row to improve their school’s learning environment.